JOYCE is a professional book design template for self-publishing that’s best suited to literary novels and memoirs. This template kit includes cover designs and interior layout templates for three of the most common trim sizes and ebook code that will have your book reader ready in no time. This book design template has fonts chosen specifically for character-driven narratives with strong themes.
- Trim sizes: 5.25″x8″, 5.5″x8.5″, 6″x9″
- Chapter starts: Two different options, one with automatic numbering and one without
- Specialty text: Paragraph styles for poetry and songs as well as letters and blockquotes
- Ebook kit: Provides a smooth export to EPUB format (the format for most ebook sellers and readers). That EPUB converts smoothly to Kindle-compatible formats through Kindle Previewer or Amazon’s KDP automatic conversion. No extra formatting required.
- Cover templates: Full wraparound print templates for the three trim sizes and ebook cover templates in two different aspect ratios.
- Font licensing: All fonts are included in the download and are open source, so you can use them on all your book-related materials and embed them in your ebooks. (Not all ebook platforms support embedded fonts.)
- Language support: The body text font, Vollkorn, has a full Latin character set with diacritics, Greek, Cyrillic, and other language support. Check here for the full glyph set.
- Copyfitting aids: Paragraph styles, character styles, and GREP coding that simplify avoiding widows, orphans, and uneven baselines.
- Baseline grid & master pages: Keep your book consistent and clean with a baseline grid set to half the leading and color-coded master pages for chapter starts, regular text pages, frontmatter, and section breaks.
- Instruction guide: Our guide walks you through applying the template to your book and provides a link to a video demonstrating how to use the copyfitting aids.
- Typesetting support: If you like the look but don’t dig DIY projects, you can purchase a template license and hire Looseleaf to typeset your book at a discounted rate.
- Skill level needed: Basic familiarity with InDesign. If you know how to use paragraph styles, character styles, master pages, and primary text frames, then you’ll be able to use this template. The kit’s instruction guide and video demo can walk you through more detailed parts of the template like the ebook export and the copyfitting aids.
- License: Purchasing this template includes a license for a single book or other publication for commercial distribution in print and electronic formats. Commercial distribution includes free materials used as advertising for a commercial enterprise. If you would like to license this template for a series of books, email us at production at looseleafep.com for discounted pricing on additional licenses.
Writing in a different genre or niche? Check out our other templates for a better fit. We’re adding new templates all the time.
Need a design tailored to your book? Take a look at our custom design packages.